BRACH’S® Conversation Heart Whoopee Pies
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 box (4 serving size) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling
- BRACH’S® Large Conversation Hearts
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1¼ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons ( ¾ stick) unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoons clear vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cold water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the BRACH’S® Conversation Hearts in a bag and then put the bag inside a second bag. Place the bags on a sturdy cutting board and use a hammer or mallet to break into small pieces. Set aside.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, blend the cake mix, water, eggs and oil with electric mixer on low speed until smooth and completely blended.
- Spoon the batter into a re-sealable plastic bag. Seal the baggie and cut a small hole off of one of the bottom corners.
- Pipe batter into 36 small circles onto cookie sheets about 1 inch apart to allow for spreading.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until edges start to brown slightly. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from cookie sheets and place on cooling rack. Cool completely.
- Blend together the shortening, butter and vanilla extract until creamy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar and mix until well blended.
- While the mixer is going, slowly add the water in a thin stream and continue to beat until absorbed and the frosting becomes fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Put the frosting into a re-sealable plastic bag. Seal the baggie and cut small hole off of one of the bottom corners.
- Pipe a layer of filling onto one of the whoopee cake halves and top with a second.
- Roll the edge in the crushed pieces of BRACH’S® Conversation Hearts firmly so the candy sticks.
- Refrigerate until almost 15 minutes before serving.