Brach’s® Starbrites® Peppermint Cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cups plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Finely smashed Brach’s® Starbrite® Mints
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease or paper-line a muffin pan with 12 cups.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in two or three additions, mixing with a wooden spoon or a spatula between additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about halfway and bake until they spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat the shortening on medium-high speed in a large mixing bowl until fluffy and smooth. Add the vanilla extract while the mixer is still on, beating until fully blended.
- Add the powdered sugar a ½ cup at a time. Beat the frosting continuously on medium speed. With a rubber spatula, scrape the sides of the bowl down.
- Continue beating on medium speed after all of the sugar has been added. Add the milk gradually, a ½ teaspoon at a time, thinning the frosting to the desired consistency. Beat the frosting on medium speed until it is light and fluffy.
- Fold in finely smashed Brach’s® Star Brites® Mints, reserving a ¼ cup to sprinkle on top for decoration.
Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining crushed Starbrite Mints. For an added touch, you can also place a whole Starbrite Mint on the top of each cupcake.