BRACH’S® Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies
Vanilla Swirl Ingredients
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Chocolate Swirl Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Bag of Brach’s® Peppermint Crushed Candy Canes
Vanilla Swirl Instructions
- Sift the flour together with the baking powder and set aside.
- With a stand mixer or hand mixer, blend together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and mix until blended.
- Add vanilla extract, then 2 tablespoons milk beating until well mixed.
- At low speed, gradually add the sifted dry ingredients and mix well. Then increase speed to medium and beat until the dough is consistent and not sticky.
- Take out approx. ¼ of the dough to use to make the chocolate swirl. The remainder will be the vanilla dough.
Chocolate Swirl Instructions
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons milk for a few seconds in the microwave.
- Add 8 tablespoons cocoa and mix well.
- In a separate bowl start with the ¼ of vanilla swirl dough and add the chocolate mixture.
- Knead until fully blended. This is the chocolate swirl.
Assembly and Baking
- Roll each flavor of dough into a ball and divide in half to make rolling out easier. On a piece of parchment paper, roll out the half of vanilla dough into a rectangle shape.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chocolate dough to a rectangle of a similar size. Transfer the chocolate rectangle to the top of the vanilla rectangle.
- Generously sprinkle crushed candy canes on to the chocolate layer and lightly press in.
- Starting with the short end, roll up the dough into a log. Wrap the log in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- While rolled dough is chilling, heat oven to 325° F.
- Remove 1 roll of dough from refrigerator and slice into ¼” slices with a sharp knife. If the dough starts softening, return to the refrigerator until it firms up.
- Place cookie slices on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove cookies from pan and place in cooling rack to cool.
If desired, sprinkle cookies with additional Brach’s® Peppermint Crushed Candy Canes while they are still warm.